Preparing to Sell
Get help Preparing Your Chattanooga Home to Sell
Putting your home on the market is not as simple as meeting with your REALTOR® and putting a sign in the yard. It goes without saying that you are hoping to sell your home as quickly as possible and get your asking price, but you will likely have some work to do to get it "show ready". Set the stage for success with these tips for styling and upgrading your home:
- Boost Curb Appeal - First impressions count, so lure potential buyers with a manicured lawn, clean windows and colorful blooming flowers. You may need to repaint or power-wash the siding and walkways.
- Clear Away Clutter - This takes some time and effort but it is essential. Cleaning and clearing surfaces, floors, cabinets and closets translates to more space in the eyes of a buyer. Remove personal items and family photos so lookers can visualize their own style in the home, but keep a lived-in look with fresh flowers and some farmer's market produce.
- Get Your House Sparkling Clean - From shining floors and gleaming windows to clean counters and scrubbed grout, every surface should sparkle. If you have pets, get rugs steam cleaned and take care of odors. This is the most cost effective way to help your home put its best foot forward. Don't skimp—this step is key.
- Choose Sophisticated Neutral Colors - You don't necessarily have to go all white. Rich mid-tone neutrals like mocha and gray create a sophisticated backdrop that makes everything look more pulled together. Just save lime green or hot pink for your next home!
- Give Every Room a Defined Purpose - If you have been using a spare bedroom as a dumping ground for odd pieces of furniture and boxes of junk, it's time to clean up your act. Every room should have a clearly defined purpose. Turn it back into a bedroom, guest room or office, and you will have a big payoff.
- Create a Peaceful Master Retreat - Appeal to everyone with a clean, tailored master bedroom. You can't go wrong with clean, crisp linens, tasteful artwork and a blanket folded at the foot of the bed.
- Open Those Closets - Visitors will look inside your closets, so show yours off to their full advantage by giving excess stuff the heave-ho. Aim to have 20-30 percent open space in each closet to give the impression of spaciousness.
- Don't Forget the Outdoors - Even if you are selling a condo with a small, stamp-size balcony, play it up with a cute cafe table and chairs. When people see it, they won't be thinking "small," they will be thinking, "what a charming spot to have breakfast!"
If you need help preparing your Chattanooga area home to sell, contact Fletcher Bright Realty—we would love to help!